Blog Archive

Monday, September 27, 2010

Allergies

Yesterday at lunch we were eating chips and gucamole. It was Natalies first time tasting guacamole and she really liked it and kept coming back for more. Later that day when I was taking her clothes off to put her in the bath I noticed splotchy redish bumps on her legs. Then, she woke up in the middle of the night wimpering and saying, "ohwee!" and I took her pants off and the rash had spread all over her legs and to her arms. I looked up online and found out that she had hives caused by an avacado allergic reaction. I lathered her in anti-itch cream and asked Nate to give her a blessing because I was worried that the hives might last for several more hours or days (that is what the internet said might happen). He gave her a blessing and then we put her back to bed. She slept soundly the rest of the night and when she woke up the hives were gone!
I did some more research and found that it is unusual to have a singular allergie. If you are allergic to avacado then the possibility of you developing a cross-reaction to other foods is increased. There are very similar allergens in latex, so Natalie has an increased chance of being allergic to latex.
I wish I knew why Natalie has an allergie to avacado when no one else in our family does.

2 comments:

Dave n' Kristi said...

At least it just caused hives this time and no breathing issues!

lanae said...

Glad Natalie is doing better! Sad she is allergic to avacado's. I can't imagine life without them!!

Also, fun to see Hyrum and Rosalie together!