Wow, this is my 200th post on this blog! I must like to talk or something. Or maybe it is because this is the thing that has been keeping me sane as a mother of three. Its my way of reaching out to others and getting things of my chest and keeping in touch with all of my siblings and their families. I love blogging!
I have a breast feeding update to blog about today. Last weekend Nate had been doing some research on what causes poor milk supply and one of the causes is a thyroid imbalance. Hearing this it made me wonder if I had hypothyroid like my mom did, because she also had trouble breastfeed all of us kids. So I went to the doctor and talked with him about all of my concerns about breast feeding and thyroid and family history. He thought it would be a good idea to have several things checked in a blood test, thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and prolactin. Prolactin, I learned is what causes you to lactate and produce milk. My tests came back and I went to the doctor today with Nate to discuss the results with my doctor. A nurse had called me a few days earlier and told me my tests had come back "normal" but I had no idea what that meant so I really wanted to see the results for myself. Well my thyroid is completely normal, which is good, but my prolactin levels are very low. For a normal breastfeeding woman, her levels should be above 25 ng/ml, mine is 6.7 ng/ml which is the reason I am drying up so soon. There really isn't anything that my doctor can do for me. There are some medicines out their that can increase prolactin, but I wouldn't be able to nurse at the same time because they would be too dangerous for Hyrum --which defeats the purpose. So instead I am going to continue to take my herbs with lots of water and pump and breast feed as much as I can.
I'm just glad to finally have discovered out what the problem is, even though it can't be treated. It is a genetic problem that I most likely inherited from my mom, but I have come to deal with it and enjoy breastfeeding my babies as much as I can for as long as I can.
I had been struggling with the feelings of inadequacy for not being able to breastfeed like so many other women. I felt jipped because I wasn't having the breastfeeding experience that I wanted. But Nate gave me a priesthood blessing and the Lord calmed my troubled feelings and heart and I know that I am a good mother and wife and that I shouldn't worry about not being able to breastfeed. Just do my best and the Lord with provide the rest.
7 years ago
2 comments:
Listen woman, if you think you know the problem, maybe you really can solve it. The hospitals normally have skilled lactation consultants who might know of other solutions. (i.e. just simple exercise boosts certain hormones in your body). Talk to a lactation consultant. Or even get a second opinion. Ask you Doc. if thyroid dysfuction has anything to do with low prolactin levels - since prolactin is actually made by the pituitary gland. I am sure there are answers out there - and it might be a lot easier than you think!
Love Sara!
I have amazing daughters.
I love how you help each other.
Post a Comment