Everyone probably has a bread recipe that they think is "the best" and I am no exception. I have found a recipe that I LOVE and it is so easy to make and so delicious, and the best part is that the ingredients are all found in your food storage. For a long time I wanted to get into making bread but I could never find a recipe that was easy enough with little kids to take care of and be useful in an emergency (hence everything coming out of food storage).
I bought a book called "I can't believe it's food storage" by Crystal Godfrey and in it she tells you all the different ways to use your food storage items from wheat to beans to dried milk and eggs. And she includes some of her favorite recipes and one of them is the bread that I love.
I am going to share it with you, but I have actually twinked it slightly.
Here is the recipe:
1 1/4 C. warm water
1 T. yeast*
1T. white vinegar*
1/4 c. honey or 1/3 c. sugar (I have used sugar only so far--I should probably try honey)
2 3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I do 2 cups wheat, 3/4 cup white)
1/4 c. wheat gluten (this was the only thing I didn't have, so I didn't put it in and it still tastes great!)
1 tsp. salt
2 T. dry powdered milk
1 T. butter/oil (I used oil)
1/4 c. potato flakes
Mix ingredients in order listed for 12-15 minutes in mixer (like botch or kitchen aid) with dough hook attachment. Let rise until double 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down then shape into loaf (or rolls--this makes a good roll recipe too I guess). Let rise again until double and bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes until crust is golden brown. Mine only take about 20 minutes. *High altitude: decrease yeast and vinegar to 1/2 tablespoon each.
The amount of ingredients listed is for 1 loaf, so you know what to do if you want more than one at a time. This bread doesn't crumble on you when you cut it, even if the slices are really thin. That made me so happy! I think it is the potato flakes that helps bind the bread together.
Anyway, it is so yummy and I hope you all try it out and become convinced too :)
7 years ago
3 comments:
Sounds yummy! The gluten just makes it rise better so if it rises fine without it...great!
okay, that makes sense. This bread doesn't rise quite as high as other recipes i've done. So if you like your bread high then you might want to use gluten. Do you know where you can buy gluten?? Anyone??
Hey, I tried the recipe and love it. Thanks.
Post a Comment